A fortified Krzyztopór Palace was built in a very short period of time for its era, in just 23 years. It was the first half of the 17th century when Polish nobleman Krzysztof (Christopher) Ossolinski decided to build his magnificent home. When construction was completed in 1644, until the Versailles was transformed into a palace we know today, Krzyztopór in Poland was the largest of all the residences in Europe.
The complex is an example of so-called palazzo in fortezza or the structure that combines both palace and fortress. The star shaped 700 meters in length massive walls surround a three-story palace. Mediterranean gardens were located outside the walls. It is told that palace once had 365 windows (as many days in a year), 52 room (weeks), 12 ballroom (months) and perhaps even an aquarium with exotic fish in the ceiling of the main office of Christopher Ossolinski.
During the Swedish Deluge, the castle was occupied for two years, beginning in 1655. Forced to leave the palace Swedes stole all the works of art and left behind a lot of damage. The castle has never regained its glory and over the years was slowly falling into ruins. In 1770, during the Bar Confederation, the castle seized by Russians, suffered severely from the fire. After 1787, the Krzyztopór palace became completely deserted.