In order to develop trade and protect their interests in the New World, the French built the Fortress of Louisbourg in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. In the first half of the 18th century it was not only a commercial port, but also fishing port and above all a military base. Louisbourg became the colonial capital of the region. The city captured by the British twice, was finally destroyed.
The reconstructed fortress is not a traditional museum, but gives an impression of living a French colonial town. The authentic atmosphere of 1744 is due to the presence of many interpreters who are dressed and behave just like French immigrants from a bygone era.