To-ji was one of two guardian temples of former Japan's capital. Built in 794, To-ji became central seminary of Esoteric Buddhism. Today, it retains its original layout and architecture style. Temple is known for a large number of treasures.
Five-tiered pagoda of To-ji is a symbol of Kyoto. It is the highest pagoda in Japan, measuring 57 m/ 187 ft. Struck by lightning it burned down four times. The present pagoda was built in 1644.
Kondo (Main Hall) in To-ji, rebuilt after fire in 1603 houses the statues of the Yakushi Trinity: Yakushi-nyorai and his two attendants, Nikko and Gakko Bosatsu.
Kodo (Lecture Hall) was reconstructed many times after earthquakes, fires, and typhoons. Retaining its original appearance this hall houses twenty-one Buddhist statues brought from China. They stand in formation of the Karman Mandala. Unlike the usual arrangement of figures in ordinary Buddhism, this one has a meaning of Esoteric Buddhism.