Yakushi-ji, the temple of the Yakushi Nyorai (Buddha of Healing) was transferred to Nara from its original location in 718. This temple was burnt down and destroyed several times during wars and natural disasters. Today, only a few buildings including the East Pagoda recall grandeur of theirs originals.
The three-story East Pagoda miraculously survived the fire that destroyed Yakushi-ji in 1528. It looks as if it were six-story because of intermediate eaves called mokoshi (lean-to) added to each story. This is a very rare element in pagoda's architecture. The West Pagoda rebuilt in 1980 is a copy of the original burned down in 1528.